photo credit: Joanna Eldredge Morrissey
b 1969, Portland, Oregon
Lives and works in Bronx, New York
1999 M.F.A., Pratt Institute, Brooklyn, New York
1995 B.F.A., Pacific Northwest College of Art, Portland, Oregon
2020 Pollock-Krasner Foundation Grant
2019 MacDowell Fellowship, Peterborough, New Hampshire
2019 Brush Creek Foundation for the Arts, Saratoga, Wyoming
2019 Pratt Institute Faculty Development Grant (also 2009)
2015 New York Foundation for the Arts Fellowship in Painting
2012 Artists' Fellowship, Inc.
2011 Adolph and Esther Gottlieb Foundation Emergency Grant
One Person Exhibitions
2018 Fort Tilden, Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge, Queens, New York
2010 George Billis Gallery, Los Angeles, California
2009 George Billis Gallery, New York City
2008 George Billis Gallery, New York City
2006 President’s Office Gallery, Pratt Institute, Brooklyn, New York
2005 Chris Wright: New Paintings, Martin Art Gallery, Muhlenberg College, Allentown, Pennsylvania (Catalogue)
2019 Uplift: Celebrating the Sierra Nevada, Arts Benicia Gallery, Benicia, California
2019 Pratt in Venice 35th Anniversary Exhibition, Steuben Gallery, Pratt Institute, Brooklyn, New York
2019 Voracious Eye, Abrazo Interno Gallery, The Clemente, New York City
2016 What's in a Landscape, Fine Arts Alumni Exhibition, The Fine Arts Office Gallery, Pratt Institute, Brooklyn, New York
2015 Sequential Convergence, An Exhibition by Pratt Faculty, Hot Wood Arts, Brooklyn, New York
2014 Showtime, Armature Art Space Inc., Brooklyn, New York
2014 Something Blue, Artspace, New Haven, Connecticut
2013 Single Fare 3, R H Gallery, New York City
2013 December Picks, Local Artists, Curated Online Exhibition
2011 UrbanSuburban, The Eptsen Gallery, Overland Park, Kansas
2011 The Dining Room Project: Food, Art & The Ritual of Eating, The Eptsen Gallery, Overland Park, Kansas
2010 Sweetness and Light, Hampden Gallery, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, Massachusetts (Catalogue)
2010 Gallery Artists: Selected Works, George Billis Gallery, Los Angeles, California
2009 What’s the Rush? Topics on Convenience, Main Art Gallery, California State University, Fullerton, California. (Catalogue)
2009 Take Home A Nude: New York Academy of Art, Sotheby’s, New York City
2008 Neo-Realism, George Billis Gallery, Los Angeles, California
2008 The 23rd Annual Gala & Auction Benefit, Nicolaysen Art Museum, Casper, Wyoming
2007 Affordable Art Fair, George Billis Gallery, Metropolitan Pavilion & Altman Building, New York City
2007 Baroque Revival, The Gallery at Tacoma Community College, Tacoma, Washington
2003 Art History’s Heroes: The Masters of Contemporary Realism, Martin Art Gallery, Baker Center for the Arts, Muhlenberg College, Allentown, Pennsylvania (Catalogue)
1999 Miniatures for the Millennium, White Bird Gallery, Cannon Beach, Oregon
1998 Panopticon, Swiss Institute-Contemporary Art, New York City (Catalogue)
1997 New York Area M.F.A. Exhibition, Co-Sponsored by the College Art Association, Hunter College/Times Square Gallery, New York City
• “Seventy-Nine Artists Awarded MacDowell Fellowships”, ARTFORUM, October 8, 2019.
• Gateway, National Park Service, US Department of the Interor, Visitor Programs and Events, Jamaica Bay, New York, Spring 2018.
• Foundry Journal, Issue Number Three, http://www.foundryjournal.com, March 7, 2017.
• studio visit, volume thirty-five, The Open Studios Press. 2016. pp 208, 209.
• Roni Jacobson. “An Art Exhibit Pays Tribute to Subway Buskers, B-Boys and Rogue Puppeteers,” Bedford + Bowery, New York Magazine, http://bedfordandbowery.com/2014/10/an-art-exhibit-pays-tribute-to-subway-buskers-b-boys-and-rogue-puppeteers. October 7, 2014.
• Annie Correal and Andy Newman. “New York Today: Subway Artists, in a Gallery,” The New York Times, City Room, http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/10/03/new-york-today-subway-artists-in-a-gallery, October 3, 2014.
• Judson. Chris Wright, Judsons Plein Air Journal, http://www.judsonart.com/blog/ uncategorized/chris-wright/, March 17, 2014.
• David Andrew Frey. Tema Stauffer. “New Artist Feature,” CULTUREHALL, Issue 65, http://culturehall.com/feature_issues.html?no=65, March 23, 2011.
• Griggs, Linda. Wesley, Ben. “Sweetness and Light,” Hampden Gallery, University of
Massachusetts, Amherst, Massachusetts. 2010. pp 5 & 15.
• American Arts Quarterly, Summer 2010, Volume 27, Number 3, p 54.
• Hannah Stephenson. “Fishing,” The Storialist, http://thestorialist.blogspot.com/2010/05/fishing.html, May 27, 2010.
• Sallie Brady. “Downtown Uptown,” New York Spaces, Volume 6 Number 8, January-February 2010, pp 84-85 & 116.
• Glasman, Krystal. Jarvis, Matthew. McGee, Mike. “What's the Rush? Topics on Convenience,”
Main Art Gallery, California State University, Fullerton, California. 2009. pp 39, 65, 88-95.
• “Neo-Real,” American Art Collector, Issue No. 33, July 2008, pp 195 & 197.
• New American Paintings. Northeastern Edition, Volume No. 68, The Open Studios Press. 2007. pp 166, 169.
• Geoff Gehman. “Lively Still Lifes,” The Morning Call, Allentown, Pennsylvania, December 15, 2005, p 12.
• Kate Hulfish. “Paper or Plastic: Which do you find more aesthetically pleasing?,” The Muhlenberg Weekly, Allentown, Pennsylvania, December 1, 2005, p 11.
Curated Flat Files
Pierogi Gallery, New York City
1999- Adjunct Professor-CCE, Pratt Institute, Brooklyn, New York
2017- Teaching Artist, 92nd Street Y, New York City
2013-18 Coordinator for Undergraduate Painting, Pratt Institute, Brooklyn, New York
2010-16 Adjunct Associate Professor, Pratt in Venice Summer Program, Venice, Italy
2015 Instructor, Montserrat College of Art, Summer Immersive Program, Beverly, Massachusetts
2013 Instructor, New York Academy of Art, Continuing Education Program, New York City
2009-13 Instructor, Educational Alliance, New York City
2003-04 Instructor, Dahesh Museum of Art, New York City
2002-04 Instructor, Parsons The New School for Design, New York City